Nashville’s biggest party returned to kick off the summer with a grand celebration recognizing the most beloved names in country music. The “2019 CMT Music Awards,” aired LIVE on Wednesday, June 5 at 8:00pm ET / 7:00pm CT and continuing the “CMT Music Awards” tradition of embracing blended-genre collaborations among all musical formats, this year’s nominations feature a wide range of talent, from rising stars to music legends, spanning the worlds of pop, soul and R&B. What else is great, is that these awards are voted on by the fans!
Carrie Underwood emerged as the night’s biggest winner with two trophies at tonight’s “2019 CMT Music Awards,” continuing her streak as the most awarded artist in CMT history. Winning two awards tonight for “Female Video” for “Love Wins” and “Video of the Year” for “Cry Pretty,” her overall CMT Music Awards tally now consists of 20 career wins.
Tonight’s first-time winners include Ashley McBryde and Julia Michaels as well as Luke Combs and Leon Bridges. Fan favorites Dan + Shay, Keith Urban, and Zac Brown Band were also winners.
The evening was filled with spectacular performances both inside and outside the Bridgestone Arena, kicking off indoors with a rousing performance of “Don’t Threaten Me With a Good Time” from Thomas Rhett featuring show host Little Big Town and Trombone Shorty, followed by Kane Brown’s “Short Skirt Weather,” live from the outdoor stage on Broadway.
The night was full of several exciting collaborations, including ones focusing on powerful female voices: Brandi Carlile and the legendary Tanya Tucker sang Tucker’s classic hit, “Delta Dawn,” with vocal backing provided by an all-star group of female artists that included Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride, Deana Carter, Lauren Alaina and RaeLynn. Maren Morris performed her newest song, “Shade,” and was joined onstage by icon Sheryl Crow, singing their collaboration “Prove You Wrong” off of Crow’s upcoming album.
The collaborations continued with R&B phenoms Boyz II Men and Brett Young who performed “Here Tonight” and “Water Runs Dry.” Toby Keith took to the outdoor stage to sing his single, “That’s Country Bro,” and brought down the house when Cole Swindell joined him on stage for his hit, “Beer For My Horses.”
Superstar group Little Big Town returned to their hosting duties for a second time this year, and performed their moving song, “The Daughters,” and Keith Urban performed his newest single, “We Were,” for the first time on television. The outdoor performances continued with Dan + Shay’s “All to Myself,” and Carrie Underwood had the outdoor crowd dancing with a dazzling performance of “Southbound,” live from the Parthenon in Centennial Park.
Nashville’s biggest party also featured show-stopping performances by Kelsea Ballerini, “Miss Me More,” Luke Bryan, “Knockin’ Boots,” Luke Combs, “Beer Never Broke My Heart,” and Zac Brown Band, “Someone I Used to Know.”
CMT’s Ram Trucks Side Stage featured performances by new artists Jordan Davis, Tenille Townes, Jimmie Allen, Runaway June, Morgan Wallen and Mitchell Tenpenny.
As part of this year’s “CMT Music Awards,” CMT and Save the Music committed to gifting a new band program to a deserving public school. Tonight it was announced that “Breakthrough Video of the Year” winner Ashley McBryde selected the city of New Orleans and KIPP East Community Program to be the recipients of this gift. Serving over 600 students whose entire population receives free or reduced lunches, KIPP East Community program will now be able to add a second full time music teacher and implement a full-fledged band program.
The Save The Music organization restores music education programs in public schools across the country by making grants of new band or string musical instruments, music stands and method books, and program services including professional development workshops, to K-8 public schools.
The winner/nominees for the 2019 CMT MUSIC AWARDS are as follows:
VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Best video of the year; awarded to the artist (male, female, group/duo or collaboration) and the video director.
- Carrie Underwood – “Cry Pretty” (Winner)
- Kane Brown – “Good as You”
- Keith Urban feat. Julia Michaels – “Coming Home”
- Kelsea Ballerini – “Miss Me More”
- Luke Combs – “She Got the Best of Me”
MALE VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Best video by a male artist; awarded to the artist
● Cole Swindell –“Break Up in the End”
● Eric Church –“Desperate Man”
● Jason Aldean feat. Miranda Lambert –“Drowns The Whiskey”
● Kane Brown –“Lose It” (Winner)
● Kenny Chesney –“Get Along”
● Luke Bryan –“Sunrise, Sunburn, Sunset”
● Thomas Rhett –“Life Changes”
FEMALE VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Best video by a female artist; awarded to the artist
● Brandi Carlile – “The Joke”
● Carly Pearce – “Closer To You”
● Carrie Underwood – “Love Wins” (Winner)
● Kacey Musgraves – “Space Cowboy”
● Kelsea Ballerini – “Miss Me More”
● Maren Morris – “GIRL”
● Miranda Lambert – “Keeper of the Flame”
DUO VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Best video by a duo; awarded to the artists
● Brothers Osborne – “I Don’t Remember Me (Before You)”
● Dan + Shay – “Speechless” (Winner)
● Florida Georgia Line – “Simple”
● LOCASH– “Feels Like A Party”
● Maddie & Tae – “Friends Don’t”
● Sugarland feat. Taylor Swift – “Babe”
GROUP VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Best video by a group; awarded to the artists
● Eli Young Band – “Love Ain’t”
● LANCO – “Born to Love You”
● Little Big Town – “Summer Fever”
● Midland– “Burn Out”
● Old Dominion – “Hotel Key”
● Zac Brown Band- “Someone I Used To Know” (Winner)
BREAKTHROUGH VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Best video from an artist’s major breakthrough album; awarded to the artist (male, female or group/duo)
● Ashley McBryde – “Girl Goin’ Nowhere (At Marathon Music Works)” (Winner)
● Jimmie Allen – “Best Shot”
● Jordan Davis – “Take It From Me”
● Mitchell Tenpenny – “Drunk Me”
● Morgan Wallen – “Whiskey Glasses”
● Runaway June – “Buy My Own Drinks”
● Tenille Townes – “Somebody’s Daughter”
COLLABORATIVE VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Best video from a collaboration; awarded to the artists
● Brantley Gilbert and Lindsay Ell – “What Happens In A Small Town”
● Darius Rucker feat. Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Charles Kelley– “Straight To Hell”
● Dierks Bentley feat. Brothers Osborne – “Burning Man”
● Jason Aldean feat. Miranda Lambert – “Drowns The Whiskey”
● Keith Urban feat. Julia Michaels – “Coming Home” (Winner)
● Sugarland feat. Taylor Swift – “Babe”
CMT PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR
Musical performance on a television show, series or variety special on CMT; awarded to the artist (individual, group or duo)
● Boyz II Men and Brett Young – “Motownphilly (From CMT Crossroads)”
● Luke Combs and Leon Bridges –“Beautiful Crazy (From CMT Crossroads)” (Winner)
● Maren Morris and Brandi Carlile –“(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (From 2018 CMT Artists of the Year)”
● Brett Eldredge and Meghan Trainor –“Let You Be Right (From CMT Crossroads)”
● Karen Fairchild, Kimberly Schlapman and Gladys Knight –”I Can’t Make You Love Me” and “Help Me Make It Through the Night” (From 2018 CMT Artists of the Year)
● Zac Brown Band and Shawn Mendes–“Keep Me In Mind (From CMT Crossroads)”